The Pinios bridge in Larissa, in a colored postcard by Steph. Stournara (Volos), No 114, reprint of the letter booklet No.8 of the same photographer-publisher.

Date: 1905~1907.

For the historical background of this particular bridge, we can briefly mention that:

For its construction, there was the opinion that it was a work of the late Byzantine years. Today, however, it is historically proven that it was built by Hassan Bey, grandson of the conqueror of Thessaly [1423] Turhan Bey. Therefore it must be dated as a building of the end of the 15th century. It is considered that it was the first known stone carriage bridge of the Thessalian area. It was one of the largest and statically solid in the country. It was 120 meters long and 4.5 meters wide, which barely allowed two carriages to cross each other with some difficulty. It was nine-story, without sidewalks and on the sides there were heavy stone parapets at a low height, made of large slabs, placed vertically.

After the liberation of Larissa in 1881, the first intervention on the bridge is recorded and it concerned the strengthening of the joints between the parapets. For operational reasons, in 1886, the bridge was widened and corrected in curvature and the parapets, which were replaced with X-shaped metal railings.

In this form the bridge remained until about 1907, when the iron parapets were replaced with metal vertical railings in a dense arrangement, which were preserved until its destruction in 1941 with the retreat of the New Zealanders.