American actor Will Smith refused to leave from Oscar ceremony after the slap which he gave to comedian Chris Rocksuch as he was askedannounced yesterday, Wednesday, the Academy of Oscars, which initiated disciplinary proceedings against the actor.
In his first public reactionChris Rock said at the beginning of his show in Boston that “still working” the incident, which made headlines around the world.
“We want to make it clear that Mr. Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and he refused, we also acknowledge that we should have been able to handle the situation differently,” said a statement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which awards the Oscars.
Chris Rock joke about it Jada Pinkett Smith shaved headwhich has been infected by alopecia –a disease that causes significant hair loss and Smith has revealed that she has been suffering from it for a few years– sparked the scandal which broke out on Sunday night.
Will Smith suddenly came on stage and slapped Chris Rock leaving speechless celebrities and viewers around the world.
The 53-year-old actor, who was awarded the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in “The Williams Method” shortly after the incident, has since publicly apologized to Chris Rock and the Academy.
The latter’s board, which met yesterday, “initiated disciplinary proceedings against Will Smith for breaches of the Academy Rules, including inappropriate physical contact, abusive or dangerous conduct, and acts that jeopardize the integrity of the Academy.” with the announcement issued.
The institution gives the actor at least 15 days “to give a written answer”.
A possible “disciplinary measure” against him will be discussed at a meeting of the Academy on April 18, she clarified in her announcement. These may include suspending or expelling Will Smith from the nearly 10,000-member Academy.
Many in Hollywood ask the Academy to impose sanctions to the American star for this act of violence from the stage, which overshadowed the night of the Oscars.
In a letter to the members of the Academy, its leaders say they are “outraged” by the incident.
“The broadcast of the 94th Academy Awards on Sunday should be a celebration of the many people in our community who did an incredible job last year,” the letter reads. President of the Academy David Rubin and the General Manager Don Hudson.
“We are shocked and outraged that these moments have been overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior of a candidate on stage,” they emphasize.
THE Will Smith apologized publicly via Instagram on Monday by Chris Rock, but also by the organizers of the ceremony.
“I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris,” Smith wrote. “I was out of bounds and I was wrong. My behavior at last night at the Oscars was unacceptable and unforgivable.”
Chris Rock, who did not want to sue after the attack, did not speak publicly on the matter until last night.
“I have nothing significant to say about what happened, so if you came to hear it … I have a whole show I wrote before last weekend,” the comedian added shortly after appearing on stage for a show on Boston, according to a short audio excerpt broadcast by Variety magazine.
“I’m still working on what happened, so at some point I’m going to talk about these things,” he told his audience at his sold out show at the Wilbur Theater in Boston. “It will be serious. It will be funny, but now I will tell you some jokes,” he added, to the applause of the audience.
THE Wanda Sykes, one of the three presenters of the Oscars, said that he was literally “sick” of the incident. “I’m still a little shocked,” she said in a speech Ellen DeGeneres.
Under no circumstances should Will Smith have been allowed to remain in the room and receive his award after such an act, he noted. “This sends the wrong message. When you attack someone we kick you out of the building, period,” Sykes said.
Follow Skai.gr on Google News
and be the first to know all the news