“The child was dead for fifty minutes” said in her testimony, at the trial of Roula Pispirigou, the Karamandanios nurse who rushed to Georgina Daskalaki’s room, when the little girl suffered a seizure which left her a quadriplegic a year before her death.

Eleftheria Petsava who had a shift in Karamandanio on April 10 and 11, 2021when Georgina was admitted, told the court about what preceded the dramatic incident that left the child a quadriplegic.

The witness testified that when she went for her shift the child had already been admitted two days before, on April 8, 2021. The witness, being examined, said that Georgina’s clinical picture was good and did not indicate that she might have this development “it was not a child he employed”, he said characteristically.

“On Saturday, April 10 shouted the mother that the child is having an episode. We ran to the doctors and the child was in the middle of the bed and had low saturation. The doctor called out the child’s name to see if he responded. The child recovered and they put him on oxygen,” Mrs. Petsava testified about the incident one day before the protest.

Con Sunday, April 11 when Georgina was interrupted, the witness said that at 7 pm she heard the bell ringing from the room where the child was with his mother and went thinking it would be something simple: “When something serious happens they go out into the corridor and shout. I saw mother waving my hands without speaking. That’s when I knew it was something serious. The child was in the middle of the bed. He was pale and had no nasal oxygen. The monitor was showing dashes. We did CPR and after about 50 minutes, the monitor started to show a slight pulse… The child had been dead for fifty minutes. It was starting to show and in appearance, it was white. After 50-55 minutes the monitor picked up a weak pulse,” he testified.

The witness was called from the president to give an accurate description of how he found Georgina and he replied that “she was in the middle and towards the bottom of the bed. He was unconscious and panicked.”

Chairman: Why do you say in the investigative report about Saturday’s episode that this was definitely not a convulsive episode?

Witness: His eyes were closed. They weren’t filmed. The child did not have vigorous movement. Usually we can’t hold them (due to the uncontrolled movements they make).

President: On Sunday where was the oximeter?

Witness: I don’t remember. The first thing I looked at was the child’s face. I definitely remember him not wearing the nasal oxygen.

President: What does that mean?

Witness: The device was removed, not just the part that connects to the child’s body.

President: Where was the mother?

Witness: We told her to go outside.

President: The next room?

Witness: They never came out. Not even to see what’s going on with all the fuss. We were impressed, I remember.

According to the witness Roula Pispirigou was informed by the doctor who participated in the team, that the child was saved and she went with Manos Daskalakis to the doctors’ office to thank them.

Prosecutor: You said the oximeter had a dash. Does it ever show a dash?

Witness: When it is taken out or when the person is dead.

Prosecutor: Does that make a sound? Does it lower?

Witness: He does yes.

Prosecutor: Had the accused lowered it?

Witness: The oximeters are making a lot of noise, but our parents are asking if they want to turn it down. Nothing like that had happened here.

Prosecutor: You entered the room, what was your first move?

Witness: I ran to call the doctors.

Prosecutor: So you left the child?

Witness: Yes, I went to call the doctors.

Prosecutor: How was the mother? Did he realize it was serious?

Witness: He was sitting outside, on a step. She looked worried.

The trial will continue on March 28.