According to the schedule, it is planned to perform seismic surveys for 1-2 years, perform exploratory drilling for 3-4 years and domestic production and monetization in 6-7 years
Within the next few days, investigations for hydrocarbons will begin in Crete and the Ionian Sea, as announced yesterday by the Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, while Navtex has already been issued for the investigations in the two regions.
According to the Hellenic Hydrocarbons and Energy Resources Management Company (EDEFEP), there are four drivers of its new mission:
- The ambitious goals of the country’s energy transition
- The national goal of net zero carbon emissions by 2050
- Greece to become a key driver of energy security and a new source of European energy supply
- The opportunity to develop and monetize domestic energy resources
According to the schedule, it is planned:
- Performing seismic surveys for 1-2 years
- Execution of exploratory drilling for 3-4 years
- Domestic production and monetization in 6-7 years
Regarding the area west and south-west of Crete: This is the most promising area for the existence of large natural gas fields, but also the least mature, where the immediate acquisition of seismic data is imperative.
The goal is to acquire 11,000 km of 2D seismic data in the winter season of 2022 – 2023.
For the Ionian area (Area 2), after the withdrawal of Total, and given the existence of a localized target, the consortium decided to replace the acquisition of 2D seismic with the direct acquisition of 3D seismic.
The consortium is to proceed with the acquisition of 3D seismic data in the winter period 2022 – 2023.
See the presentation of EDEFEP
Read the News today and get the latest news.
Follow Skai.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news.