Three villages of special interest, linked to the history and culture of the city of Karditsa, as they are in close proximity to it. APE-MPE undertakes a tour of Karditsomagoula, the Artesiano and the Paleokklisi, with the Cultural Guide edited by the City Museum of the Municipality of Karditsa as a “guide”.


It is the closest municipal apartment to the city and has a wonderful street layout. The village took its name from the Neolithic magoula, the settlement, which – according to tradition – was located in its center, under the temple of Agios Dimitrios.

In the area, according to the above data, there are traces of habitation from the Bronze Age. “Magoula” or “Mustafa Magoula” or “Magoula of Karditziou” was one of the largest Christian villages of the plain in the Ottoman era. With the annexation of Thessaly, Karditsomagoula was acquired by the national benefactor K. Zappa to be granted to the Greek government and distributed to the landless a few years later.

In the village, several ground-floor adobe houses with a basement and a loggia are preserved. The recently restored primary school (today’s community office and function hall) and church began construction in the 1930s, but were completed when the war ended. The village also has an imposing double-arched stone bridge from the beginning of the 20th century, on the border with Makrychori and the forest of Ai-Lia, an area of ​​approximately 20,000 acres, with rich vegetation of centuries-old oaks and elms.


It is located on the busy Karditsa-Trikala road. In the area, as mentioned in the cultural guide, several Neolithic sites have been identified, such as the well-known “Magulitsa” from the oldest Neolithic, in excavations carried out in the 1950s by the archaeologist Maria Papadopoulou-Theohari. “Pitzari” was a village with a significant Christian population from the early Ottoman period.

Its characteristic bell tower, built of local sandstone and solid brick, at the entrance to the courtyard of the church of Agios Theodoros, was built in 1888, according to a stone-carved inscription. The church, in the basilica type with a dome, was built in 1899 but rebuilt after the 1954 earthquake.

Artesiano is the birthplace of blessed Archbishop Seraphim Tika, whose personal belongings are displayed in a room of the community shop.

Old church

Its old name is Isari and it is referred to in Ottoman sources as a small Christian village from the 15th century. In the area, the archaeologist D. Theoharis, in the 1950s, discovered a Neolithic settlement at Magoula Tsapoha.

It is the first municipal district of the Municipality of Karditsa, which was connected to the city by a bicycle path, on one route, wooded for the most part and not particularly busy.

The Palaiokklisi is located on the road that leads to Fanari, with the only Byzantine castle in the area, to the picturesque Kanalia and to Mouzaki, at the foot of the mountainous Argithea.

As stressed to the Athenian-Macedonian News Agency, Dr. Fotini Lekka, Asst. in charge of the City Museum of the Municipality of Karditsa, these are villages, which are almost suburbs of the city of Karditsa, while maintaining a close relationship with nature. And as the city expands, so does its Museum… He has already chosen Karditsomagoula to create a dynamic Multispace there for periodic exhibitions, storage and maintenance of the material.

Photo from Facebook Artesiano Karditsas – Artesiano Karditsas