ROME (Reuters) – Stellantis has no plans to close factories or carry out mass layoffs in Italy, a company official said on Thursday at a roundtable organized by the government to address concerns over the country’s automobile industry.

Organized in Rome by the Italian Minister of Industry, Adolfo Urso, this meeting brought together representatives of industry and unions, while the Italian automobile industry must deal with a decline in production and factories at a standstill. and a drop in sales of Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia, Stellantis brands.

“Stellantis does not intend to close factories in Italy, nor does it intend to carry out collective layoffs,” said Giuseppe Manca, head of human resources in Italy for the manufacturer. automobile born from the merger between PSA and FCA. His comments were reported in a group press release.

Faced with sectoral challenges such as weak demand for expensive electric vehicles and Chinese competition, the automaker is also facing a forced reduction of its accumulated inventories in the United States, which has forced it to reduce its profit and cash flow forecasts.

Last month, the Italian union FIM-CISL predicted that annual vehicle production in Italy would fall to less than 500,000 units in 2024, the lowest level since 1958.

Last week, a union source said he expected Stellantis to once again suspend production at the historic Mirafiori factory in Turin, birthplace of Fiat, where the Fiat 500 electric city car and two Maserati models are manufactured. .

(Report by Alvise Armellini, by Etienne Breban, edited by Sophie Louet)

Copyright © 2024 Thomson Reuters