The oldest surviving photograph of the Acropolis – a daguerreotype – dates from 1842, after the liberation of the Greek state from the Turks

Taken one morning by the French photographer Josepf-Filibert Girault de Prangey from the Hill of the Nymphs (next to Philippa) and the Observatory, it shows the Parthenon “wounded” by the Turkish occupation of the Holy Rock.

It depicts part of the rock fortification, the Parthenon and some of the other ancient buildings of the Acropolis.

The image of Athens at that time was very bad as it had suffered serious damages, especially during its eleven-month siege by Kioutachis, between June 1826 and May 1827.

The Turkish garrison finally left the Acropolis fortress on March 31, 1833.

It is characteristic that Otto’s regent Georg Ludwig von Maurer or Georg Ludovicus von Maurer, when he arrived in Athens in 1833 during Otto’s first visit, wrote: “Athens which before the War of Liberation numbered about 3,000 houses, now he didn’t even have 300. The others had turned into a shapeless pile of stones.”