Six regions of the country are in risk category “4”
Very high fire hazard -risk category 4- is forecast today Sunday for six regions of Greece, according to the Fire Risk Prediction Map issued by the general secretariat of Civil Protection of the Ministry of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection.
Specifically for today, Sunday July 16, 2023, a very high risk of fire is predicted for the following areas:
- Region of Attica (including the island of Kythira)
- Region of Central Greece (PE Boeotia, PE Evia)
- Peloponnese Region (Corinthia Region, Argolis Region, Laconia Region)
- South Aegean Region (Cyclades)
- North Aegean Region (Lesvos Region, Chios Region, Samos Region, Ikaria Region)
- Region of Crete
The general secretariat Civil Protection and its publishing team Fire Hazard Prediction Map point out that in the coming days the risk of forest fires will be very high in many areas of the country, as favorable conditions will prevail for their occurrence.
At the same time, it has informed the competent government agencies involved in official duties, as well as the Regions and Municipalities of the above areas, so that they are on increased civil protection readiness in order to immediately deal with any fire incidents.
At the same time, he recommends citizens to be especially careful and avoid outdoor activities that can inadvertently cause a fire, such as burning dry grass and twigs or cleaning residues, using machinery that produces sparks such as circular saws, welding equipment, using outdoor grills, smoking bees, throwing lighted cigarettes , etc.
Furthermore on partial alert is the staff of the Fire Services of the above regional units in order to deal with the increased service demands, which may arise due to a very high risk of fire (risk category 4).
Also, the 2nd stage of operational readiness of the P.S. and will take place aerial surveillance patrols, as well as patrols by Fire, Police and Military forces.`
At the same time, for the above areas, the Plan of Civil Protection actions to deal with risks due to forest fires is being implemented, according to which, among other things, the implementation of the measure of the preventive ban on vehicle traffic and the stay of excursionists in national forests, forests and “vulnerable” areas.
The Fire Brigade appeals to the citizens:
- Be especially careful and avoid actions in the open air that can cause a fire by negligence, such as, burning dry grass and branches or cleaning residues, using machines that cause sparks such as circular saws, welding devices, using outdoor grills, smoking bees , throwing lit cigarettes, etc.
- To monitor forest fire prevention information available on the website and official accounts of the Fire Service, Facebook and Twitter.
- In the event that they notice a fire, they should immediately notify the Fire Service by dialing 199.
- Finally, the Fire Brigade calls on all citizens to be especially careful and in the event of a fire, for their own safety, to faithfully follow the instructions of the competent authorities.
It is reminded that during the fire prevention season burning of fields is prohibited.
For more information and self-protection instructions from the dangers of forest fires, citizens can visit the website of the General Secretariat of Civil Protection at www.civilprotection.gr.
I have worked as a journalist for over 10 years, and my work has been featured on many different news websites. I am also an author, and my work has been published in several books. I specialize in opinion writing, and I often write about current events and controversial topics. I am a very well-rounded writer, and I have a lot of experience in different areas of journalism. I am a very hard worker, and I am always willing to put in the extra effort to get the job done.