The Minister of Citizen Protection, Mr. Yiannis Oikonomou, requested the administrative investigation regarding the non-observance of the restrictive conditions of the person arrested for the attacks against women in Exarchia, as well as the immediate replacement of the Commander of the Oropos Security Department, after communication with the morning with the Chief of the Hellenic Army, Lieutenant General Lazaros Mavropoulos.

The “dragon” of Exarchia, as it became known, had previously been accused of the same crime, had been remanded in prison in Grevena and had been released in the summer as he was not brought to trial within the limits of the legal pretrial detention. However, he had been given the condition of appearing at the police station of his area – in this case the Oropos station. The condition was not met, but according to information, there was no care on the part of the police to search for him.

The 23-year-old from Syria is accused of the attacks against a total of six women. The four attacks took place in Exarchia, including one on a minor – and the other two in the area of ​​Glyfada.

ELAS press representative Konstantinas Dimoglidou speaking to SKAI emphasized that the 23-year-old was arrested an hour before the end of the free trial. “On October 20, the perpetrator made two rape attempts. In fact, in the video material it appears that he is wearing the same clothes. The first attack took place in the area of ​​Glyfada,” he said.

On November 15th shortly before 01:00, at the junction of Paraschos and Asopiou streets, he attempted to attack a woman who was being followed by a pedestrian. The woman, according to her statement, thought he wanted to rob her. When the assailant approached her threateningly, she started screaming in fear, causing the 23-year-old to run away.

On October 24th at 20:15 the perpetrator approached an 18-year-old girl who was waiting at a bus stop on Posidonos Avenue in Glyfada, Attica. According to the 18-year-old, the arrested man initially started to masturbate and the frightened girl started running. However, the perpetrator followed her and in order to immobilize her, he attacked her, closing her mouth and nose with his hand, but the 18-year-old resisted, causing them to fall to the ground, which caused her slight injury.
The perpetrator, fearing that he has been noticed by the neighbors, ran away.