The objectives achieved through the new framework introduced by the bill
Significant changes in the way the EYP operates and is organized, but also in the process by which the confidentiality of communications is lifted the bill introduced yesterday afternoon in the public consultation – a process that will end on November 22.
According to government sources, the 7 most important innovations of the draft law “Procedure for removing the privacy of communications, cyber security and protection of personal data of citizens” are the following:
1. It is formed within the EYP Internal Control Unit which will investigate issues of corruption and dereliction of duty within the service.
2. Only a diplomat or a retired high-ranking officer can be appointed commander of the EYP, and only civil servants can be appointed deputy commanders. Private individuals are excluded from these positions.
3. Defines the concept of national security on the basis of which declassification may be requested. In this way, the action of the State agencies that invoke national security is defined.
4. A special process is established for the declassification of political figures with strict filters that make it extremely difficult to declassify. The request can be submitted by the EYP only for an immediate and extremely possible threat to national security, with the permission of the Speaker of the Parliament and the agreement of two prosecutors.
5. It is prohibited under penalty of imprisonment to possess or trade in malicious software without requiring the assistance of any other conditions. In addition, the use of this software is upgraded to a felony with a prison sentence of up to 10 years.
6. Anyone can learn that their phone’s privacy has been removed for reasons of national security after three years have passed since the removal ended.
7. The procedure for the destruction of declassified files is standardized. While the content resulting from the declassification is scheduled to be destroyed after six months, the service’s file with the data that substantiated the request for the declassification is scheduled to be destroyed after 10 years. Today, the law does not provide for a time or other determination for the destruction of files.
The law achieves three goals.
First, detected pathologies and dysfunctions are treated with fast reflexes.
Secondlyprocedures and operating framework are established that limit the discretion that the bodies involved in the declassification process had.
Thirdlythe most modern and coherent framework is created between the countries of the European Union for the relevant issues, given that while similar issues have arisen in many European countries, only in Greece is there direct legislative intervention.
Read the News today and get the latest news.
Follow Skai.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news.