spot_img
Sunday, December 4, 2022
HomeWorldEU: Terrible food waste - In 2020, about 127 kg per inhabitant...

EU: Terrible food waste – In 2020, about 127 kg per inhabitant was thrown away

-

- Advertisement -

Household food waste is almost twice as much as food waste from primary production and food and drink production combined, according to Eurostat.

In 2020, the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, around 127 kg of food per capita was wasted in the EU, according to a first pan-European monitoring of food waste published today by Eurostat.

- Advertisement -

Households produced 55% of food waste, which corresponds to 70 kg per inhabitant. The remaining 45% was waste generated upstream in the food supply chain.

Addressing consumer food waste remains a challenge both in the EU and globally.

- Advertisement -

Household food waste (55% of the total) is almost twice as much as food waste combined from primary production (11%, 14 kg per person) and food and drink production (18%, 23 kg per person) .

Restaurants and food services accounted for 12 kg of food waste per person or 9% of the total. Retail and other food distribution was the sector with the least amount of food waste, with 9 kg per person, or 7% of total food waste. However, the impact of the COVID-19 restrictions on these two sectors is still being analyzed.

A simple way to minimize food waste would be to raise awareness of the annual amount of food waste we produce, Eurostat stresses, recalling that food waste has a high environmental and climate impact as it is an additional source of greenhouse gas emissions.

- Advertisement -
spot_img
Megan
Megan
I am currently a news writer for News Bulletin247 where I mostly cover sports news. I have always been interested in writing and it is something I am very passionate about. In my spare time, I enjoy reading and spending time with my family and friends.

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

1,250FansLike
1,500FollowersFollow

Latest posts