Dead by police fire the perpetrator of the terrorist attack in Brussels was killed.

The 45-year-old was shot in the Brussels suburb of Skarbek, inside a cafe. The weapon with which he killed two fans of the Swedish national team was found with him.

The Tunisian extremist killed the two Swedes and escaped.

Hours after a manhunt began in the Belgian capital, Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden announced on VRT television: “We have good news that we found the person.” He confirmed that the weapon believed to have been used in the killings had been found.

Federal prosecutors were more circumspect, telling The Associated Press: “There are strong indications, but not certainties” that the man was the shooter.

Earlier in the morning, a search was carried out at his residence.

The perpetrator of the deadly shootings in Brussels, a 45-year-old Tunisian who sought asylum in Belgium in November 2019, as announced by Minister of Justice Vincent van Quickenborn at a press conference. “This person was known to the police for suspicious activity, human trafficking and illegal residence.” The man was reportedly convicted in Tunisia of common criminal law offenses and not of terrorism, as previously reported by various Belgian media.

Interior Minister Anneliese Verlinden spoke of “horrific events” at the press conference. The minister emphasized that the security services are doing everything they can to identify the perpetrator. “We are united against terrorism and we will always be stronger,” Verlinden said.


The 45-year-old radicalized Tunisian is in Belgium illegally

According to RTBF, Abdesalem L., a man of Tunisian origin, was staying illegally in Belgium.

In a video in which the man, with a thick Tunisian accent, claimed responsibility for the attack, he said he was a member of Islamic State. In Arabic he says he killed three Swedes. His home in Serbeek was under search all night.

His action was not directly related to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, although he mentioned the Islamophobic killing of a little boy in the United States on the Facebook account where he posted the video. The suspect reportedly acted alone.