Harry and Meghan confirm invitation to Charles III’s coronation, but still studying attendance

by
Harry and Meghan confirm invitation to Charles III’s coronation, but still studying attendance

Sean Coughlan – BBC News

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle will be invited to King Charles III’s coronation, according to the couple themselves.

They say they received an email about the coronation – which will be held in London on May 6 – but have not confirmed whether they intend to attend the event.

It is believed that some guests are receiving notices to clear their schedules on this date, before official invitations are distributed.

Buckingham Palace has not commented on the matter.

There was speculation about whether the US-based couple would be invited and whether they would attend the coronation of King Charles and Camilla, the queen consort.

In a note made by Harry and Meghan, they said they had been contacted about the coronation.

“I can confirm that the Duke has recently received email correspondence from Her Majesty’s office regarding the coronation,” a spokesperson for the couple said.

“An immediate decision on the presence of the Duke and Duchess will not be released by us at this time.”

Westminster Abbey, where the coronation will take place, has a capacity for around 2,200 guests. The presence of various public figures and politicians, as well as the king’s family and friends, is expected.

Since Harry published his memoir earlier this year, relations with the royal family have been strained.

In the book, Harry recounts a falling out with his brother, Prince William, who — as Prince of Wales and Charles’ direct heir — is expected to play a major role in the coronation ceremony.

In a recent interview, Prince Harry declined to say whether he would attend his father’s coronation, saying: “The door is always open. The initiative is up to them.”

If he attends, it is unclear what role he would play at the coronation, as he no longer performs official duties in the British royal family.

During the Queen’s Jubilee last year, Prince Harry and Meghan were not part of the appearances on the balcony of Buckingham Palace. These traditional appearances to the crowds will also be part of the coronation celebrations.

In an interview on Saturday (4), Prince Harry said he always “felt a little different” from other members of his family – and that his late mother Diana felt that way too.

Last week it was reported that Prince Harry and Meghan had been asked to vacate Frogmore Cottage, the couple’s UK base in Windsor.

This text was originally published here.

Source: Folha

You May Also Like

Recommended for you

Immediate Peak