Excavations by the Army continue on a daily basis.
The oxidized shells that were located, removed and neutralized from the road construction site have reached 69 Leo the Wise in the center of Thessaloniki, while excavations by the Army continue on a daily basis.
According to secure information from GRTimes, today Tuesday (4/10) a team of the Land Mine Clearance Department (TENX) unearthed another German shell of World War II from the construction site, possibly the latter.
According to the same information, the investigations will likely be completed today, as it is estimated that the unearthed shell was the last one.
As sources with knowledge of the works at the construction site of Leontos Sofou report to GRTimes, the most likely scenario under consideration is that this area was an ammunition warehouse for the Germans during the Nazi occupation of the city. That is, the shells are either stored on the spot, or brought from somewhere else.
However, the shells found are intact and active and they do not come from bombing. However, the first scenario (s.s. for an ammunition depot) is also strengthened by the fact that the shells were stacked.
On the specific construction site there was a three-story apartment building, which had been erected in 1954 and was demolished in 2004, according to local residents and professionals, in order to build a multi-story hotel.
Read the News today and get the latest news.
Follow Skai.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news.