The Albert Einstein Hospital released this Tuesday (6) a medical bulletin updating the situation of Pelé, 82, hospitalized since last week in São Paulo. According to the text, the former player presents gradual evolution.
“The patient continues to evolve with progressive improvement in his general condition, especially the respiratory infection. He remains in a common room, with stable vital signs, conscious and without new complications”, says the bulletin.
The text is signed by doctors Fábio Nasri, Rene Gansl and Miguel Cendoroglo Neto. According to them, Pelé was admitted to the hospital last Tuesday (29) “for a reassessment of chemotherapy therapy for the colon tumor, identified in September 2021”.
Last year, the star underwent surgery for colon cancer. In early 2022, metastases were identified in the intestine, lung and liver.
As shown to Sheet last Saturday (2), the former athlete stopped responding to chemotherapy and started receiving palliative care. This means that chemotherapy treatment was suspended and comfort measures were adopted to relieve pain and shortness of breath.
Pelé’s daughters reacted by trying to reassure fans.
“I don’t like to say that the cancer treatment isn’t working. It already did, it’s working. Just him being here, breathing, it’s already working super well”, said Flávia Cristina, 53, to TV Globo. “He’s sick, he’s old, and he’s hospitalized because of a lung infection. When he gets better, he’ll go home again,” added Kely Cristina, 54.
As a seasoned news journalist, I bring a wealth of experience to the field. I’ve worked with world-renowned news organizations, honing my skills as a writer and reporter. Currently, I write for the sports section at News Bulletin 247, where I bring a unique perspective to every story.