The British newspaper, The Guardian, apologized to reporters today and its other employees who allege they were sexually assaulted or harassed by a former columnist, while also announcing that it would strengthen its methods of dealing with such complaints.

The New York Times reported on Monday that the editor-in-chief of The Guardian and The Observer, Catherine Weiner, wrote to women who accused Nick Cohen of inappropriately touching them without their consent or making sexual advances. “I want to apologize for the sexual harassment you suffered from a member of the Observer and for the way we handled your complaint,” Weiner said, according to the US newspaper.

“The editorial director and managing director have written to all those who have spoken publicly about the matter and to those who have contacted GNM,” the media group that owns the Guardian and Observer newspapers, a spokesman for the group confirmed today. He added that “since last year we have been working with Howlett Brown, a consulting firm specializing in business culture and independent research.” That company recommended, among other things, any future complaints of sexual harassment be investigated by third parties and not by group management.

“I have received an apology from Kath Weiner, editorial director, and Anna Bateson, executive director of Guardian News & Media. I’m beyond relieved,” journalist Lucy Siegel wrote on Twitter. According to the NYT, Siegel accused Cohen of groping her buttocks years ago and that the newspaper supported her columnist instead of putting an end to such behavior.

Writer Jean Hannah Edelstein also said she was “pleased at the group’s apology” and that the newspapers “admitted that the harassment warrants outside investigations.”

The last months many cases of sexual assault or harassment in British organizations have come to light. Among them are the hedge fund founded by the wealthy investor Crispin Odey and the employers’ association CBI, about whose case the Guardian newspaper made many revelations.