The work of the Fire Department is particularly difficult due to the lack of rain in the area for months and the strong winds blowing there – Problems for the Fire Department due to the hundreds of fires at the end of October
A forest fire is ongoing that occurred shortly before 20:00 in the area of Karionas in central southern Lesvos.
The fire is burning pine trees and olive groves.
The work of the Fire Department is particularly difficult due to the lack of rain in the area for months and also the strong winds blowing there.
All the firefighting forces and volunteers have rushed to the front of the fire.
The fire has started near the church of Agia Paraskevi and is visible from all the villages of Gera.
A total of 484 fires in the last week – Trouble in the Fire Department
Today was the last day of the fire season, and the number of fires across the country remains very high for the time, causing intense reflection in firefighting and civil protection. In the last week alone there have been 484 fires, (forest and agroforestry fires, mainly during the burning of crop residues) breaking every record, while in the last twenty-four hours there were 78 agroforestry fires.
The weather conditions that prevail in places, according to experts, favor the spread of fires. For this reason, the fire department advises citizens to be especially careful, and for any outdoor activity that could cause a fire, to take all mandatory fire safety measures.
As today the fire season endsand with the protection of human life as the first priority, as well as the reduction of the number of rural fires and the limitation of burned areas, the fire department addresses a recommendation to the citizens:
* Be especially careful and for any outdoor activity that could cause a fire, take all mandatory fire safety measures
* To consult the local Fire Services regarding prevention measures, in case of outdoor work
* To monitor the information on the prevention of forest fires that is available on the website www.fireservice.gr and on the official accounts of the Fire Brigade, on Facebook and Twitter
* To look for self-protection instructions from the dangers of forest fires, on the website of the Ministry of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection at www.civilprotection.gr.
It is noted that during the winter season, what is provided for the prevention and avoidance of fires in forest, rural areas and plots of land, which are applied according to no. 9/2021 Fire Department: https://bit.ly/3BB8mEg
At the same time, non-compliance with the provisions entails high administrative fines, as well as heavy criminal penalties
In addition, in the event of a fire:
* Call 199 or 112 IMMEDIATELY and give clear information about:
– your location and exact location
– the exact location and direction of the fire
– the intensity of the wind in the area and
– the type of vegetation being burned
* Immediately leave the area and strictly follow the instructions of the competent authorities.
* Facilitate fire brigade access.
“The protection of human life and our natural wealth is the business of all of us,” the fire department concludes in its announcement.
Read the News today and get the latest news.
Follow Skai.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news.
I am Terrance Carlson, author at News Bulletin 247. I mostly cover technology news and I have been working in this field for a long time. I have a lot of experience and I am highly knowledgeable in this area. I am a very reliable source of information and I always make sure to provide accurate news to my readers.