All businesses were primarily checked as to whether they had concluded concession agreements for the simple use of the seashore-beach with the competent authorities
With 4,500 inspections on beaches and seashores, during which 1,750 violations were found, the controls for this year’s tourist season have been completed.
From his Press Office Ministry of National Economy and Finance the following notice was issued:
There are 4,500 controls on seashores and beaches carried out from July 21 to the end of September 2023, where 1,750 violations were found by the Real Estate Services. At the same time, the services of the Ministry of National Economy and Finance are preparing a relevant legislative initiative for the new framework for leasing beaches from tourist businesses.
The above controls were carried out in 41 regional units.
– 205 inspections were carried out in the wider area of Attica, Piraeus and the Islands.
– 220 inspections were carried out in the Cyclades cluster.
– A total of more than 320 inspections were carried out in the Region of Crete. Of these, 155 were conducted in the area of Chania.
– A total of 288 businesses were checked on the islands of the Ionian Sea. The majority of checks were carried out in Kefalonia, where 112 checks took place. Next is Corfu with 61 checks.
– Of the North-East Aegean islands, 92 checks were carried out on Lesbos, while 67 were carried out on Chios.
– In the Peloponnese Region, 237 checks were carried out in the regions of Argolis, Arcadia, Corinthia, Laconia and Messinia.
– 289 inspections were carried out in the Region of Central Greece. In more detail, 101 controls took place in Fthiotida and 86 in the area of Fokida.
All businesses were primarily checked as to whether they had concluded concession agreements for the simple use of the seashore-beach with the competent Authorities. Of the 1,750 violations, the majority related to the development of umbrella seats on the beach in an area larger than the one granted, while there were several cases where the occupation was completely arbitrary, without the existence of a relevant concession agreement.
The penalties imposed vary, depending on the violation, from fines, removal of the umbrella seats, demolition of the arbitrary constructions within the shared seashore and beach zone, dismissal of the employees, up to automatic procedure for the business managers.
Following the order of the Minister of National Economy and Finance, Kostis Hatzidakis, to intensify checks on beaches throughout the country, all the executives of the Real Estate Services were mobilized, the summer holidays were revoked and employees were moved to services that had staff shortages, in order to carry out timely inspections of the maximum possible number of businesses with an emphasis on the tourist areas of the country. The coordination of the audits carried out ex officio or following citizen complaints was undertaken by the General Secretary of Public Property of the Ministry of National Economy and Finance, Naya Kollia.
It is noted that the competent services of the Ministry of National Economy and Finance are preparing a new legislative intervention regarding the framework of beach leases from tourist businesses. The aim is to strengthen the protection of the coasts and overall the image of the Greek tourist product as well as the unhindered access of citizens to the beaches in accordance with the rules of the Constitution.
I am Janice Wiggins, and I am an author at News Bulletin 247, and I mostly cover economy news. I have a lot of experience in this field, and I know how to get the information that people need. I am a very reliable source, and I always make sure that my readers can trust me.