The rendering works of the new Archaeological Museum of Argos are progressing rapidly, with the completion of the permanent exhibition and the creation of the Epigraphic Museum.

The two new museums of Argos, with a total funding of 5,100,000 euros from the Recovery Fund, together with the Byzantine Museum, create a set of museum infrastructures which upgrade the cultural wealth of Argos and create a new development resource for the wider region.

As the Minister of Culture and Sports Lina Mendoni stated, “Securing financing from the Recovery Fund, we are moving forward, rapidly, with the completion of the two very important museums, for the Argolis and the Peloponnese. The new Archaeological Museum, housed in the building complex with the historical house of general Kallergis, the modernization of the shell of which will be completed at the end of the year, and the Epigraphic Museum, in the Kapodistria Barracks, where the Byzantine Museum is also housed, strengthen the cultural identity of the city of Argos. The modern museum infrastructures are going to highlight the great cultural reserve and also decisively strengthen the economic development of the entire region. Our goal is, by delivering, in Argolis, this perfect museum set to contribute to the improvement of the daily life of the residents and also for the visitor to enrich his cultural experiences. At the same time, with the cultural upgrade, new creative employment prospects are opening up for young people, in the wider region of Argolis».

The completion of the new permanent exhibition of the Archaeological Museum of Argos, with funding of 3,100,000 euros, is progressing, with the Ephorate of Antiquities of Argolis as the implementing body. The Archaeological Museum of Argos has been housed, since 1961, in the Kallergi house, which was built in 1828-1830 and in the eastern wing, as an annex, in 1959. In 2014 the museum stopped its operation in order to modernize its antiquated building infrastructure and re-exhibition of his collections, according to the dictates of modern museum theory and practice.

The modernization of the building complex is underway and will be completed at the end of the year by the Directorate for the Execution of Museums and Cultural Buildings Projects, within the framework of the Act “Modernization of the Archaeological Museum of Argos” included in the Operational Program “Peloponnisos» of the NSRF 2014-2020, with a budget of 3,100,000 euros.

Following the approved museological study for the new permanent exhibition of the museum prepared by the EFA of Argolis, a museographic study and a special lighting study of the new permanent exhibition were prepared, which were approved by the Council of Museums. In the context of the same sub-project, a static study was prepared for the restoration of a portico roof, in the surrounding area of ​​the museum.


The project includes the equipment of the new permanent exhibition of the museum as well as the rest of the operational spaces and the organization of the new permanent exhibition, according to the approved museological and museographic study so that the museum can be fully operational and open its doors to the public .

II. Epigraphic Museum

With 2,000,000 euros, the creation of the Epigraphic Museum, in the eastern wing of the Kapodistria Barracks, is financed, with the implementation body being the Directorate of Studies and Implementation of Museums and Cultural Buildings Projects. The project restores and modernizes the building of the two-story eastern wing of the Kapodistria Barracks, which remained abandoned for twenty years. The project envisages the functional restructuring of the building, in order to include public service uses and the improvement of accessibility for employees, the public and the disabled. The Epigraphic Museum of Argos will house the 136 unique bronze inscribed panels, part of the archive of the treasury of Pallas, where the sacred money of Hera was kept. The findings are one of the most important archaeological discoveries of the last decades, providing important information about the economic life of Argos, the democratic institutions as well as a multitude of other functions, from the end of the 5th century to the middle of the 4th century BC. In the Epigraph The museum will also exhibit important stone inscriptions from the wider area of ​​Argos.

The building of the Kapodistria Barracks was classified in 1978 as a historical preserved monument. It was built during the Second Venetian Empire, before 1701 and had various uses – barracks, hospital, market, post office – before the Municipality bought it from the National Defense Fund.